Daytona 500 ended with a photo and scary finish

Mother nature remains undefeated.

The rain was expected to arrive comparably to the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump, at the Daytona 500.

The weather delay began at 3:30 p.m. with a few sprinkles of a shower.

The race cars were approaching the green flag instead were directed to pit row.

Another rain delay occurred at 4:30 p.m.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr., the leader. Joey Logano in 2nd place after the second delay with 20 laps in. The race would be postponed and not resume until Monday at 4:00 p.m. after heavy rain began pouring down before 7:00 p.m. again.

President’s Day the race continued, and Joe Gibbs racing winning. He still has the team to beat in NASCAR.

Denny Hamlin wins his third Daytona 500 on Monday in photo and scary finish.

Hamlin became the first driver since Sterling Marlin in 1995 to win “The Super Bowl Race on NASCAR” in consecutive seasons. Hamlin’s victory last year was part of a 1-2-3 sweep for Joe Gibbs Racing and kicked off a yearlong company celebration in which Gibbs drivers won a record 19 races and the Cup championship.

“I am a student to the game; I never stop learning,” Hamlin said. “I trust my instincts so far they have been good for me.”

The rich get richer.

The victory is the third for Toyota, all by Hamlin. Gibbs has four Daytona 500 victories as an owner.

Hamlin’s celebration on the track and victory lane was downcast in light of the terrifying crash late in the final lap that sent Ryan Newman to the hospital.

Anxiousness and prayers were at a high as the announcement of his condition was up in the air.

“I think we take for granted sometimes how safe the cars are, and No. 1, we are praying for Ryan,” Hamlin said.

Hamlin’s margin of victory of 0.014 seconds over Ryan Blaney was the second closest in race history, after only Hamlin’s win over Martin Truex Jr. in 2016. That margin of victory was 0.01 seconds.

With thoughts heavy on Newman, an update was shared in the media center hours later.

While evaluated Roush Fenway officials called his condition serious but not life-threatening.

“I don’t know what to say it is so unexpected,” Hamlin said. “I knew they we going to come with a big run there. My job was to just make sure I didn’t put a block that was going to wreck me, live to race another corner.”

The beat goes on as the race season is young but has begun with gratitude, no matter the winner.



Author: West Lamy

My passport requires no photograph. Experienced play-by-play broadcaster and multimedia sports journalist with years of producing and covering sports. WORLDWIDEWEST is a journey; in this journey my feet don't get blisters, but my shoes do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *